19 May 2010

'I'm still a beginner'


myrepublica.com   
 

AVASH KARMACHARYA 

Indian Idol 3 Prashant Tamang will be turning into an actor with Gorkha Paltan. Directed and produced by Narayan Rayamajhi, the Nepali feature film will debut Tamang in the lead role. Republica had a chat with Tamang during the music release function of the movie. Excerpts:

How has life changed ever since you became Indian Idol?


Certainly, the Indian Idol award has given me so much. First and foremost, it introduced me as somebody. Before I became the idol, hardly anybody cared what I was doing. It has fulfilled my childhood dream of becoming a singer and it has given me a vision to grow up as a singer.

In Bollywood, stardom is like that castle of sand by the sea which can be swept away easily by unfortunate tides. Many singers have disappeared and only a few have succeeded in the industry. Where do you see yourself?

I’ve to admit this that it’s not that easy to live up to one’s expectation in Indian film industry. Likewise, it’s a Herculean task to maintain one’s stardom. Sometimes, it’s not just the talent; it’s also the luck that really matters. I also have to admit this that I’m still a beginner and there’s still a long way to go. I’ll definitely not give up.

As you’re also in the battalion of Darjeeling police, it must be really difficult managing time for music while also working for the battalion.

My battalion is very supportive toward my love for music. It’s because of them that I’ve reached here so far. They’ve been flexible in terms of my work schedules.

But if you have to someday choose between music and your profession, which will you go for?

Well…that’s a tough question to answer right now. But suppose if I really have to choose between the two, I believe my department will understand if I chose music.

Most of the Indian Idols, apart from the first Idol Abhijeet Sawant, are hardly into showbiz and it seems like they all disappeared from the limelight.

See…it’s really competitive out there. Nonetheless, I’m not trying to say that I’m not ready to face the difficulties. I’m ready to go through all hurdles. But to be very honest, I haven’t been offered for anything in Indian music industry so far. May be the right time for me is yet to come. Regarding the disappearance of other Indian Idols, all of them are busy with their own musical projects.

With “Gorkha Paltan” you’re trying your hands at acting too. How did this happen?

Apart from longing to become a singer, I also wanted to become an actor. And, the role that I’ve been offered in the movie is a blessing in disguise.

But don’t you think mixing two genres (singing and acting) together may ruin your singing career?

Both the genres you’re talking about come together under a single umbrella of art. It would rather be fun to sing for myself in the films I do. Besides, I also need to prove some people that I can act as well. A few told me that I’m not fit for an actor’s role. I need to prove them wrong.

While many hesitate to begin a career in the already sinking Nepali film industry, you seem to be very positive about your career…

If you can’t take the risks, you will do nothing extraordinary in life. Somebody has to take the risk and there has to be a beginning. Nepali silver screen is not as difficult to handle as it is often portrayed. I’m satisfied but there’s much more to be done
 


Published on 2010-05-17 10:11:22

No comments: