13 October 2007

The heart of mine is a Nepali: Prashant Tamang

Prashant Tamang, a Darjeeling boy, created a history in the Indian Idol competition by earning maximum vote in the final. Tamang, who prefers to identify himself as a Nepali, said that he still finds it hard to believe that he had won the title. He said that the sharp comments made by the juries were the source from where he got inspired to win the title. Here is a short piece of conversation made with Prashant during his arrival in Nepal. Experts:

How do you feel to win the Indian Idol title?

It's obvious to feel something new and extra than before. It's a dream of mine to become an idol which comes true now. Its hard for me to describe the excitement in words because I, as a simple Nepali boy achieved a great success like this.

How did you feel to wear a Nepali cap after winning the title?

My mother had put on the cap over my head. She was also present at the final day. And I also had the inner wish to recognize Nepal from the stage. I have had not won the title without those tireless effort of my Nepali brothers and sisters. I only have participated the contest, all the credit of my victory goes to yours' account.

Did you ever have thought that you would achieve such a great success?

I never have had imaginations on all sorts of these. One the day when I reached the venue to give audition for the Indian Idol contests I even doubt of my selection then.

What is your future plan? Do you go with the music or other way?

Yes, I will work hereafter to become a good singer.

If so, you are planning to quit your previous jobs?

Of course not! I will continue with my previous job as a policeman. I have a lot to do in the Calcutta police. My seniors have many expectations and belief upon me, to which I never could turn off my face. pm-prasanta_b.jpg

How does your family feel to see you as the winner of the challenge?

They were overwhelmed with my success. My mother always wished to see me in the televisions, which is materialized now. When I hold the trophy I called my mum on the stage. Lifting the trophy with her is the most immemorial moment in my life.

Doesn't you feel that the earlier Idols were not performing well?

Indian Idol is the platform to prove oneself best in the field of music. The winner has many doors open in front of him with many opportunities. But that depends upon ones' capability to sustain with struggle. But that does not mean that Abhijeet and Sandeep dai could not do much. They were doing their best. I think they are planning a new album.

One of the jury members, Javed Akhtar, had made a sharp comments on you saying that you do not deserve that platform. How did you feel on such comments?

I don't think that Javed sir had always taken me negative. Those were his sharp comments which insisted me to work hard. Those help me to sharpen myself which leads to the position where I am now.

Among the fellow contenders, one Richa Aneja had declared not to sing with you. How did you feel on that?

I still recall that moment. That hurts me too. I have excused her taking those comments as childish.

You won the title. Besides that a worthy contract and a brand new car are also in your hands. Which among those value most for you?

All the credits of my success go to my audience. Without their support and love I could not have make the way to this. So, they value me the most. Their love is the best prize I won.

But it is said that Amit Paul performed better than your's?

Yes, he was a good and deserving singer. I too believe that he possessed an excellent singing habit.

How is your relation with Amit?

We are good friends. Not only him, Abhishek is also my best friend. I was stunned when he was eliminated from the competition.

Do you have any plan to settle in Mumbai or return home?

I have not decided yet on that.

No comments: