24 October 2007

Amit bares his soul

/photo.cms?msid=2469784
Amit Sana (TOI Photo)
Amit Sana might have been a runner-up, his road to celebdom was nevertheless laid out.





Two years ago, he was the cynosure of all eyes, as he and Abhijit Sawant fought the very first of those unique battles that have become such a rage now musical reality shows. And though Amit Sana might have been a runner-up, his road to celebdom was nevertheless laid out.

It still feels like yesterday. The memory will last a lifetime. I am happy to note the programme format’s evolution in these three years, says Amit.

But Amit is disturbed at the recent ruckus caused following Prashant Tamang’s election. Some RJs think that they sound ‘cool’ by making such statements. What they don’t know is that discretion is a must. Humour is a very serious business indeed. You should joke only after looking at the opposite end. It was rightly perceived that by insulting Prashant, the RJ had passed a derogatory remark on the entire community. It was sheer tomfoolery on the RJ’s part, feels Amit.

Does he fear being caught in an image-trap vis-à-vis the show? Not at all. There is no doubt that I will be remembered foremost because of it. But, it is very much in my power to break it (the image). Take Akshay Kumar for instance. He had almost been typecast as an ‘action hero.’

But, he has been very successful in making the switch to comedy. That is the hallmark of a true performer: create an image that almost seems impossible to break, and then break it as if you always knew how to do it, says Amit.

So, how has the journey been so far? He says, It has been good so far. I have worked with some top-notch music directors like Sandesh Shandilya and Anu Maleik. In that sense, it has been very rewarding. But I would definitely want to do something different.

I consider music to be a divine medium. I want to entertain people through it, like most performers. But, my music should be different, in that it should not be repetitive. I want to bring about changes in people’s music tastes. I think I know the pulse of the people well enough now to attempt this, adds Amit.

An interesting tidbit about Amit is that he is addicted to the web. My father is harried at home since I stay awake till 3.00, downloading music. It is such a powerful and useful medium. You can showcase your own music, listen to others’ and even market it, says Amit.

Amit’s next album is ready for release. He informs, It will be releasing by November or December. It is a solo album. I have stressed on some of the key elements that make up a song - melody, for instance. The numbers will be soft and melodic and yet powerful. Listeners should like it.

No comments: